Library boards, whether appointed or elected, advisory or governing, have oversight over the director, as well as approve of the budget, the strategic plan, and the policies. Micromanagement is a mistake, as well as what we call the “captive board”, which does nothing. So what are the roles of the board members, directors, staff, volunteers, and the greater community?
- Introduction: The Purpose Of A Library Board
- The Key Idea: Learn And Play The Right Role To Support Your Library
- The Relationship Between Board And Library Director
- Leadership, Management, And Task Duties For Library Boards
- Basic Strategic Plan, Budgets, And Policies Oversight
- Relationship With Staff And Community
- Relationship With Friends Groups And Library Foundation
- Improve your library’s capacity to serve.
- Support the effectiveness of your library director.
- Build better relationships with library support organizations.